Just another rambling fool at WordPress.com

Winter Sky

I’ve taken several pictures of this tree, but this was one of the nicer shots that I got after we had about three and a half feet of snow on the ground. Getting to the spot where I took this picture was a workout in itself: a steep uphill climb through butt-deep snow drifts while carrying a camera and tripod was a little nutty, not to mention the fact that (as usual) I was trying to beat the sunset. Oh, and it was single-digit, bone-chilling cold.

I used PS5 HDR toning to process this because it helps make the margins of the clouds pop a bit more. So far I’ve played with the HDR toning settings a lot more than the basic HDR program. That’s because I don’t take a lot of bracketed photos, which you need for the HDR program. HDR toning uses just one photo and the results are a bit less extreme, but that suits me just fine for right now. Perhaps if it wasn’t so darn cold I might have been more inclined to tinker with my camera settings and take some bracketed photos, but I could hardly manage to take the few pictures that I got.

Color-wise, I left things exactly as I saw them. I don’t like to punch color or vibrancy up unless I really have to, and in this case there was enough contrast in the sky to keep things interesting without playing Mother Nature. The wind was howling, making the sky change from moment to moment and it was one of those times when I found myself questioning my sanity and wondering why I was out there … until I saw the results. Sadly, there isn’t much interesting to shoot up on that ridge. The lone pine tree is nice, but unless there’s something brewing in the sky, it’s rather ho-hum.

Below: The trail back down.

Photo #1:

Jan 30, 2011 5:47 PM EST.

Canon EOS 7D

ISO: 100, 19mm, 1/4 sec, f/25

Lens: Tamron SP 10-24mm 1:3.5-4.5

PS5: HDR toning

Lightroom3: brightness/contrast adj.

Photo#2:

5:49 PM. EST.

ISO: 100, 11mm, 1/4 sec, f/16

6 responses

1. fantastic!

March 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM

• Thanks! Glad you dropped by!

March 13, 2011 at 7:18 PM

2. Cool. I like the second picture. It doesn’t get that cold where I live–I’m glad!

March 5, 2011 at 11:38 AM

• It was a brutal hike up to the ridge. The snow was butt-deep and fortunately, I thought to grab a ski pole to help with the navigation. I read somewhere that you should always turn around and take note of what’s happening behind you, and sure enough, the sky was pretty!

Thanks for reading my blog and leaving a comment.

March 13, 2011 at 7:21 PM

3. marc

I will admit to being a fan of the picks you’ve posted with the HDR toning you’ve done. And I’ll disagree with you about nothing much to shoot on the ridge. That lone pine is majestic…

March 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

• Thanks Marc … I enjoy tinkering with HDR and the HDR toning. Hopefully, I’ll get better with the processing end of things as time goes on.

As always, love the feedback!

March 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM