Just another rambling fool at WordPress.com

Golden Pond

This is another one of my favorite photos from last fall. I would love to get a chance to shoot this scene over again under the exact same conditions. When I took this picture I was rushing and trying to work with some pretty challenging elements. First of all, the lighting was tricky and it was changing fast, but I was also trying to capture some of the stunning foliage as well as get the boat and dock into this particular photo. Unfortunately, this would have been the perfect setting if it hadn’t been for the power lines and poles that littered the background. I didn’t have a good view of the scene until I was right on top of it and I was so dismayed when I saw the power lines. I knew they were going to show up in just about every picture I took. (Here, you only see a few poles, but they ran all along the far left side of the pond, then up, over and across the opposite rise. I used the tree to block as many of the poles and lines as I could in this photo.)  And on top of everything else, at the time I thought I might have been trespassing on private land. I hadn’t seen any signs posted, but I was worried that someone from a house on the edge of the property might come out and holler at me. I’d parked on the side of the road and cut through a stand of trees to get to the field in front of the pond. I don’t know. call me paranoid, but it just felt like maybe I was on private property. So I rushed. I know I didn’t take the time I should have taken to get really GREAT shots. But I had the right idea and frankly, if going back through my catalog has shown anything it’s that sometimes the more time I have to take a photo and the harder I try, the less impressive my results are. I think I’m one of those people who does my best work when I just shoot what I think looks good and not always worry so much about getting everything “right.”  OK, so perfectly focused pictures would be a good thing, but you get my drift …  ;)

Oct 13, 2010. 6:00 PM. EST.

Canon EOS 7D

ISO: 400, 17mm, 1/25 sec,  f/25.

Lens: Tamron 17-24mm

Lightroom3: Minor Brightness/contrast adj.

6 responses

1. h

ahhhh another beautiful picture to help start my day!!! Love it!

February 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM

• Thanks! It takes me to that “Ahhhhh” place too!

February 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM

2. I wouldn’t worry about the power poles, Cheryl, they are indistinguishable in this shot. For future reference, Photo Shop has a great tool that removes unwanted artifacts in your image and replaces them with the surrounding background.

I think going back to the actual location in the future to get more shots is a fine idea, just as re-working the post processing of the current images might also lead to something that is more pleasing to you.

February 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM

• I think you’re right about a revisit, only next time I ought to find out if I’m trespassing first! I don’t need enemies!

Thanks for the tips and comment!

February 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM

3. Michelle Chowaniec

Beautiful photo!!!Okay after seeing that photo it is definitely time for the snow to go and spring to get here.

February 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM

• I’m so with you on the spring thing. Enough of winter already!

Thanks for dropping a line!

February 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM